Schedule & Repertoire
The 6th International Paulo Cello Competition
International Cello Festival, Finland will hold the 6th International Paulo Cello Competition in October 14-25, 2018. The competition is open to cellists of all nationalities born between 1988 and 2002, inclusive.
Application is via the competition website at cellocompetitionpaulo.org. A link to this site will be activated on November 2017. Applications should append a quality video of competitor’s performance for the pre-selection process. The deadline for applications is January 31, 2018. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. The non-refundable fee is €50.
COMPETITION PROCEDURE AND REPERTOIRE
The competition will consist of a qualifying round by video preselection and four public performances.
PRESELECTION VIDEO REPERTOIRE
- Luigi Boccherini: Sonata ” L´Imperatrice ” A major, I movement, Allegro (Edition Schott)
- Krzysztof Penderecki: Suite per violoncello solo, I movement, Preludio (Edition Schott)
- Beethoven: Sonata No.5 D major, Op. 102 No 2, II movement, Adagio con molto sentimento d´affetto
- A work of the candidate’s choice with piano accompaniment
The works performed on the preselection video may be included in the programme for the other rounds of the competition. The video must clearly show the performance, the player’s hands and face. The video must not be edited. Individual works may, however, be recorded as different takes. The application must state when and where the video was made.
A maximum of 26 competitors will qualify for the First Round. It will consist of a recital programme of the competitor’s choice totalling not more than 50 minutes and can include works for cello either with or without piano accompaniment. Movements from sonatas and larger works may be performed. The repertoire must represent a sufficient variety of styles to meet the demands of a solo career.
A maximum of 9 competitors will qualify for the Second Round. One of following works will be perfomed with Lahti Symphony Orchestra.
- Edward Elgar: Cello Concerto No. 1 Op.107
- Robert Schumann: Cello Concerto A minor, Op. 129
- Éduardo Lalo: Cello Concerto in D minor
- Pjotr Tshaikovski: Variations on a Rococo Theme Op. 33
A maximum of 6 competitors will qualify for the Finals.
The competitor will be perform this concerto both as a soloist and conducting the orchestra.
A Cello Concerto by Luigi Boccherini or Joseph Haydn. Orchestra in First Final is Tapiola Sinfonietta.
One of the following works to be performed with Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra:
- Benjamin Britten: Cello Symphony
- Henri Dutilleux: Cello Concerto ”Tout un monde lointain”
- Joonas Kokkonen: Cello Concerto (1969)
- Witold Lutoslawski: Cello Concerto
- Krzyztof Penderecki: Cello Concerto No. 2
- Sergei Prokofjev: Sinfonia Concertante Op. 125
- Aulis Sallinen: Cello Concerto Op. 44
- Dmitri Shostakovitsh: Cello Concerto No. 2 Op. 126
After the concerto with Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra each competitor will also perform a movement of her/his choice from a Suite fo Solo Cello by Johann Sebastian Bach as a compulsory encore.
Please follow us here or subscribe on our mailing list for press releases.